An Action Plan for Dreamers (click for details on how to subscribe) is a weekly 20-minute podcast where we provide practical and actionable advice about what it takes to create the life you crave. It’s short enough to listen on your commute or coffee break, but long enough to contain 3-5 practical steps you can take to make your dream life a little bit closer.
Listen to the Episode
Regardless of what your big dream may be, there is a very good chance you will need to save some money to make it a reality. As we talk about in our book, Dream Save Do: An Action Plan for Dreamers, (you have picked up a copy already, right?) the first step in saving for your target is getting control of your current spending.
It’s your money, and you should know how much you have and how much you’re spending. - Dream Save Do (Tweet this)
Betsy and I dive into the steps you can take to identify where to cut back on your spending as well as share a bit of our story and how we approached the tracking of expenses when we first started to save to live our dream. It does require you to make choices, but when you commit to a dream the choices become that much easier.
In addition we are pleased to be joined by Simon Fairbairn, the developer of Trail Wallet, an iPhone application designed to help you track all your expenses at the moment you are paying. Simon discusses his experience of tracking expenses and shares with us the background to creating this application. Simon and his partner, Erin, also run the extremely enlightening travel website, Never Ending Voyage.
- Grab your bank statements, review all your monthly subscriptions and cancel what you don’t “need”
- Start tracking all your expenses, either on paper or using a great application like Trail Wallet
- Schedule regular reviews of your expenses
This week’s podcast sponsor is LearnVest.com. LearnVest’s mission is to empower people everywhere to take control of their personal finances so that they can afford their dreams. Take control of your money. Click here to join LearnVest today.
Miss a Recent Episode?
- Be Comfortable and Proud of Who You Are (Podcast #52 with Denise Jolly)
- Fighting Your Way Around the World (Podcast #51 with The Fighting Couple)
- Going After Your Dreams Together (Podcast #49 – Farnoosh & Andy Brock)
- Making Time for Your Goals Without Sacrificing Your Relationship (Podcast #48 with Sean Platt)
- How to Get Through Life’s Holes Without Getting Stuck in Them (Podcast #47 with Judith Belmont)
On next week’s show we’ll be talking about resiliency and overcoming adversity as you go after the life you crave. We’ll be joined by Dr. Alex Lickerman to discuss setting expectations, surrounding ourselves with supportive people, and actions to help build our resiliency muscles.
You won’t want to miss this episode so subscribe to the podcast here.
Until next time, remember to take the first step and keep on moving.
For more step-by-step actions you can take to amass the cash you need to live your dream life, grab a copy of Dream Save Do: An Action Plan for Dreamers. We provide dozens of ideas and suggestions for saving, making, and raising the cash to live the life you crave.